Tuesday, July 12, 2011

HELP FOR POWDERY MILDEW ON YOUR PLANTS

I don't know about you, but I do NOT have a green thumb; however, there are a couple of plants that I have managed not to kill.  One of them is the Jade plant - it thrives on neglect, I think.  The other is Bird of Paradise - this one I'm sure is just an accident.

Personally, I love the Bird of Paradise ... and the only thing I have to occasionally do to keep it healthy is treat it for Powdery Mildew.

My beautiful plant was healthy one day and it seemed like the next I discovered its leaves covered on the front with white spots and on the back a thick gray, powdery film.  I was horrified, but I was determined not to lose it to something that seemed as simple to cure as washing the leaves off.  So I got the hose out and washed each and every one of its leaves.  I was so proud of myself and thought I had overcome the problem.

The next day I found out I was wrong!  All my scrubbing had no effect on the seemingly delicate powder.

I started researching the problem, found out what it was called and ordered a book (Backyard Problem Solver by Jerry Baker).  When it arrived, I read it from cover to cover and even though he doesn't mention the Bird of Paradise specifically, when he wrote about Powdery Mildew, the symptoms he mentioned fit what I was seeing.

I decided to try his Timely Tonic - what more harm could it do?  My gorgeous plant was going to die if I didn't do something.  I'd tried consulting the personnel at the garden center and was told to dig it up - "It's a goner."

The next day, early, before the sun was beating down on the plant I brought out my freshly made tonic and started applying it to each leave - front and back.  I scrubbed and scrubbed.  When I finally finished, I sighed - hoping my scrubbing didn't do more damage than the disease.
 
When I checked the plant the next day, there were no new white spots AND the gray was mostly gone from the backs of the leaves.  Each day I could see the plant gain a little strength until one day I realized it was producing the stalks that hold its flowers.  I had won the battle!  My plant survived.



This incident happened many years ago and the plant is still healthy.  In fact, a couple of years ago we divided it and placed one of the divisions on another corner of the house.  It has been doing well, even giving us a couple of blooms this year.  But a week or so ago, I thought it looked droopy.  When I walked over to inspect it, I discovered my enemy, the dreaded Powdery Mildew.  This morning I was out early, tonic and scrubber in hand.  Time will tell, but I'm sure Mr. Baker's Timely Tonic has once again saved the day.

If you are having a problem with this dreaded scourge, Powdery Mildew, try this simple tonic.  Remember, if you do nothing you are going to lose that plant you love so much.

TIMELY TONIC (from Jerry Baker's book Backyard Problem Solver.)
(also known as Powdery Mildew Control Tonic)

4 Tbsp. of baking soda
2 Tbsp. of Murphy's Oil Soap
1 gal. of warm water

Mix well and pour into a handheld mist sprayer.  Apply liberally when you see the telltale white spots on your plants or even before!

That's all there is to it!  Really ... just the tonic and a little effort.

 Here's my favorite flower for the day .... Thank you RedGage!

http://www.redgage.com/c-ljaxd

No comments:

Post a Comment