Friday, June 17, 2011

ARE YOU A CRAFTER?

You may not realize it, but if you knit, crochet, weave, quilt, embroider or even “just plain sew” - you’re not just a crafter, you’re considered an ARTISAN. 

Artisans create with a sense of utility while artists create more with beauty in mind. There is a goodly amount of creativity and beauty in many pieces we craft, but most are very utilitarian.

I’ve kept myself busy during quiet times creating useful things – and never thought much about it.  In fact, I’ve created so much, my family became “crafted” out and I had to look for other outlets. You may be in the same situation.

Then there is the matter of leftover materials …. I ALWAYS have things leftover …. yarn, thread, cloth …. something!  In fact, I had so much of it stored here and there; my husband (out of fear of being buried alive one day, I’m sure) converted a small closet for the storage of my crafts.  If you’re a crafter, you’re thrifty and have the attitude “I’ll be able to use that one day” so you don’t throw those items out.  If you’re a crafter I know you are guilty of this.

The day has arrived when you will be able to start using up that “stash.”

I finally found places that always need small (or large) items.  Items such as lap throws, hand/arm warmers, shawls, scarves, wash cloths, etc.

These places are found nearly everywhere, no matter how small the community.  Really!
 
You say you’ve looked and there is no one in your community you can even GIVE your work to.

How about hospice or the local day care center?  

I admit the day care center in the “good” section of town didn’t even want to talk to me; however, the one on the “other side of town” did.  They take all I can make.

The hospice with patients in-house didn’t either, but then I stumbled upon a minister who goes to hospice patients who remain at home.  She was overjoyed at my “gifts.”

Both these organizations (and the people receiving the crafts) didn’t care if the items were 100% perfect.  They didn’t care if the scarves were multicolored or the lap throws were of different types of yarn.  They were grateful.


I wasn’t looking for gratitude.  I just wanted to be able to keep my hands busy.

Now I can go to Goodwill and take all the inexpensive mismatched yarn they have, keep my hands busy and donate all my work!  I can once again shop the sales and scoop up all the odds and ends that have been marked down over and over.

I used to feel guilty spending money on yarn with no purpose in mind, but now that feeling is gone!  I feel good about what I’m crafting and I’m happy!

So, if any of you ARTISANS out there are in the same predicament that I was, make a few phone calls and set yourself free to create to your hearts content.


 
Here is my flower for the day ... Pink Crepe Myrtle - thank you RedGage.
http://www.redgage.com/c-ldhph
 

No comments:

Post a Comment