Wednesday, June 22, 2011

WOOD IS JUST WOOD …. Or is it?

While looking at used (antique?) furniture recently I discovered a whole new world I knew nothing about.

I’ve always asked, “Is this solid wood?” followed by “What kind of wood is it?”  Since I knew nothing about wood, I now realize that without some knowledge of what you’re dealing with, how silly those questions are - when negotiating the value of an object.

I was thinking about getting something different for a coffee table so I was scouring the “antique” shops.  One man I spoke with seemed well versed in wood, but our conversation left me with more questions than I started with.  

I was told the table was probably made of Huanghuali – a rare wood from China.  I decided I needed more information before I spent any money. 

I left, having not purchased anything (because I was sorely lacking in knowledge) and after arriving home did a little research.  I “Googled” Huanghuali and was presented with more information than I thought possible.  I’m sharing some of what I found on the internet. 


Chinese antique furniture is usually of exquisite design, unique workmanship and careful carving. It has been the rare treasure and one of the most splendid parts of Oriental culture.   

Huanghuali – is also known as Yellow Rosewood.
 
With its outstanding rough grain and natural brownish-yellow to purplish-red wood, the term huanghuali literally means “yellow flowering pear.”  The principle wood used during the mid-Ming to early Qing Dynasties, the finest examples of this wood have a translucent, shimmering surface with abstractly figured patterns and colors that range from a reddish-brown to a golden-yellow. 

The finest huanghuali has a translucent shimmering surface with abstractly figured patterns that delight the eye--those appearing like ghost faces were highly prized. The color can range from reddish-brown to golden-yellow.  Today, huanghuali is considered extinct; consequently, pieces built from this wood are highly sought after by collectors worldwide.

Somehow I don’t think the table is made of Huanghuali …. He wasn’t asking enough money for it. 

However, it could be Elm (Yumu, Northern Elm) as it is traditionally the most common softwood used in the manufacture of furniture in Northern China.  The sapwood tends to be yellowish-brown (kind of like Yellow Rosewood) with the heartwood being more typically chestnut brown; both have a wave-like grain. 

Could this large table have found its way from Northern China to the little shop on the East coast of the US? 

Then I came across Beech (Jumu, Southern Elm).  It is also a popular wood for making furniture in China.  Furniture made from Beech is widely distributed throughout China as well as Korea and Japan.  It, too, comes in colors ranging from yellowish-brown to coffee-brown.

Could this table have been made in China and then shipped to Korea or Japan where some American soldier bought it and shipped it home?

How would I ever be able to find out its history?

I don’t know that I care any more.  My head is pounding, and I’ve learned enough to know it’s too much for me to comprehend.  

However, I did learn some things.

I’ve learned that not all wood is the same, how incomplete my two questions were and how ignorant I was about wood.

I’ve learned that Americans categorize wood differently than Asian cultures (they don’t use the terms deciduous or conifer).

I also learned that deciduous trees (hardwood) have leaves while conifer trees (softwood) have needles.

I’ve learned a lot …. And I’ve decided to stick with the nice, plain coffee table I already have.  Mine is probably fake wood, but it’s functional.

However, that carved table was and is still beautiful – for the right person.  (I found this picture on eBay.  It’s similar to the one I was looking at.)



Now you know (as I do) – all wood is not the same.  Do a little homework before you spend any of your hard-earned money on “real wood” furniture.

http://www.redgage.com/rene

Here is my flower pick for the day … Thank you, Redgage.

http://www.redgage.com/rene#rf:/photos/rene/white-flower-for-june-22.html


 



No comments:

Post a Comment